Dear to my heart…
This list comes from Kate Swaffer who after being diagnosed offers a fresh perspective on how to live beyond dementia rather than only die from it, and how family, friends and dementia care professionals can more positively support people post diagnosis to do this. She has lovingly challenged, advised, and counseled me quite a few times on my journey. We even launched a Q&A blog where we peppered each other with questions.
As a follow-up to my go-to strategies for family visits, I plucked a few key tips to consider and am listing my top ten:
- Don’t tell the person they are wrong.
- Don’t say “Remember when … “
- Don’t correct or challenge trivial things.
- Don’t assume they can’t understand you because they are silent.
- Don’t think they can’t communicate just because we can’t speak.
- Don’t talk about them to someone else in front of them.
- Don’t remind them of…
View original post 202 more words